Get a glimpse at what consumer trends are forecasted to shape 2017 with Technomic’s in-depth insights
CHICAGO, Jan. 18, 2017—Technomic has identified five themes that will define consumer foodservice behavior this year, and presented them at Technomic’s annual Consumer Insights Planning Program meeting, January 11-12, 2017 in Newport Beach, California. A comprehensive analysis of evolving consumer lifestyles paired with exclusive industry, menu, operator, and consumer data signals that 2017 will see an accelerated fragmentation of consumer attitudes and purchase drivers.
“Overarching trends related to increased demand for high-quality, better-for-you fare and unique yet convenient foodservice experiences will not subside,” said Kelly Weikel, Technomic’s director of consumer insights. “However, the way that consumers define these important elements and their willingness and ability to pay more for them increasingly varies from one consumer to the next. This year it will be especially important for operators to understand niche consumer groups and meet expectations at a range of value tiers.”
Highlights from Technomic’s 2017 Consumer Trends Forecast include:
- Patronage polarization — Instability has reached new levels due to increasing uncertainty. Though lower- and middle-class consumers will curb foodservice spending until instability subsides expect few cutbacks among affluent consumers.
- Creating community — Concepts will increasingly be positioned as places for people and communities to connect, give back, recuperate, and foster diversity and inclusivity.
- Old World Revival — Today’s consumers crave new foods and experiences but seek the comfort that familiar options provide. Look for more modern, unique twists on classic fare.
- Food beyond fuel — Healthy intentions are starting to drive heathier orders, even away from home. Operators will increasingly tout a balanced approach as the “best medicine” to support an overall healthy lifestyle.
- Robotic takeout tech — More operators will provide technology such as delivery drones and robots, chatbots and enhanced online ordering to drive off-premise sales.
Click here for a more in-depth visual look at these trends.
To inquire about consumer trend-tracking insights from this forecast, contact one of the individuals below, or visit http://www.technomic.com for more information.
Technomic Inc., a Winsight company, delivers a 360-degree view of the food industry. It impacts growth and profitability for clients by providing consumer-grounded vision and channel-relevant strategic insights. Its services range from major research studies and management consulting solutions to online databases and simple fact-finding assignments. Its clients include food manufacturers and distributors, restaurants and retailers, other foodservice organizations, and various institutions aligned with the food industry. Visit Technomic at technomic.com.
About Winsight, LLC
Winsight LLC is a recognized leader in business-to-business media and information services for the convenience-retailing, foodservice and grocery industries. Winsight has an extensive media portfolio, including five publications: CSP, Restaurant Business, FoodService Director, Convenience Store Products, and Winsight Grocery Business. Winsight also offers a suite of digital products, including websites, e-newsletters, webinars, video products, mobile and tablet apps, and custom marketing solutions. In addition to more than 12 major EduNetworking conferences and advisory meetings, Winsight also produces seven exclusive, large-scale executive-level conferences: Restaurant Leadership Conference, Global Restaurant Leadership Conference, Outlook Leadership Conference, Convenience Retailing University, FSTEC, MenuDirections and Restaurant Directions. In 2015, Winsight acquired Technomic Inc., a provider of primary and secondary market information and advisory services for the food industry. For more information on Winsight and its brands, go to www.winsightmedia.com.